Monday, November 26, 2012

Keeping up with the Joneses

Giving up something good for something great is one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do.  I thought starting my business was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.   Starting something successful from nothing wasn't exactly easy, but its nothing compared to expanding.  The natural course of a successful business is expansion.  And how ever painful it may seem, it beats the alternative.   

The idea is to steadily manage expansion opportunities as they come.  Unfortunately  you don't have control over the opportunities presented, or the time in which you have to act.

Turns out expanding actually is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.  When we were first starting out we had no where to fall from.  There were no expectations.  Taking the leap to expand is way more intense.  I actually have other people's lives in the balance.   Its way more to coordinate.  There is also that its being documented by media and industry just waiting to analyze.  And as tough I may seem, I loath to disappoint.

 I just think about the NY Times Guy Fieri's review and die inside for him.  He dared to expand and open a new restaurant.  To be panned right out of the gate is such a reality for anyone, including an established veteran chef like Guy Fieri.  I guess what really matters in that situation are the dollars put in the register. 

But its the journey, right? At this time of high pressure I'd like to imagine that that there will be a time to rock steady and the feeling like I'm jumping off a cliff is simply temporary and all part of the ride.  It s important to put this in perspective and realize that the management of this pressure is what defines you and separates you from everybody else.  

No comments:

Post a Comment